Celiac Disease? ~~~~~~ Gluten Sensitivity?~~~~~~ Gluten Intolerance? ~~~~~~ Avoiding Wheat?





Friday, May 13, 2011

The 1 in 133 Event and the FDA

The link below was included in the latest GIG newsletter to branches.  Reading it was encouraging to me, especially after a phone call with Dannon yogurt.  The only yogurt flavor of any variety that Dannon will state is gluten free is the plain flavor.  When I asked if barley malt was in the “natural flavors” that Dannon uses, I was told that is “proprietary information.”  (Note to Dannon:  I do not want to duplicate your yogurt; I just want to know if it will make my family sick!)
So if the 1 in 133 Event gets the attention of Congress, maybe we can not only encourage the FDA to finalize gluten-free labeling standards but also encourage the inclusion of gluten in the allergen labeling requirements (which will require additional legislation).

No comments:

Post a Comment